Patios have become really important areas, extending property footprints and allowing us to make the most of the great outdoors. Whatever the size or setting, periodic maintenance will be greatly beneficial – and late summer is an ideal time to get to work. It will cut down the ‘elbow grease’ required come springtime and will make outdoor spaces more pleasant over the winter months.
Time to tidy
Whilst most aluminium and wooden furniture can be left outdoors year-round, materials like wicker and rattan generally need to be protected – under covers or indoors. It’s a few weeks (hopefully) before we need to pack things away but it’s worth planning ahead now and clearing some storage space.
At this time of year, fallen petals and leaves quickly start to build up, especially behind pots and containers. If left in place, they’ll quickly decay, leaving stains and slippery deposits. It’s worth emptying and stacking pots before the temperatures drop – especially if they’re not frost-resistant. Surfaces can then be swept with ease and any weeds removed. The clearer the surface now, the less dirt will be picked up on footwear over the winter months.
The pre-winter clean
To properly remove stains, ingrained dirt and grime, detritus and tannin stains left by fallen leaves, we recommend a thorough wash with ECOPROTEC® Intensive Cleaner.
To properly remove black spot, lichen, moss and stains from all types of patio paving, we recommend our ECOPROTEC® Black Spot & Algae Remover.
A blast with a jet wash may seem like a quicker and easier option but it will only wash dirt off the surface. A specialist treatment will react with ingrained residue and organic matter, drawing it out of the stone’s porosity.
Before cleaning the patio, remove furniture, pots and other objects. Then, test your cleaning solution on an inconspicuous area.
How to apply ECOPROTEC® Intensive Cleaner:
- Shake well before use. Test on an inconspicuous area before general application.
- Surfaces should be completely dry before application. Dilute solution either 1:10, 1:3 or undiluted depending on levels of contamination. Apply with a scrubbing brush or light pressure sprayer.
- Agitate the surface with a stiff deck brush or emulsifying pad to release the dirt and grime. Rinse thoroughly using clean water.
How to apply ECOPROTEC® Black Spot & Algae Remover:
- Shake well before use. Please note that this product contains bleaching action; if in doubt, test on an inconspicuous area before application.
- Surfaces should be completely dry before application. Pour undiluted solution directly onto the pavers and spread out evenly using a light pressure garden sprayer or a plastic watering can can also be used. Leave for 2-4 hours to react.
- Hose off thoroughly with clean water and rinse all equipment that has been in contact with the product.
Pets should be kept off surfaces during treatment and contact with ponds avoided. Please download the datasheet for more information.
Stopping water ingress
Once you’ve cleaned your pavers and they’re dry, it’s an ideal time to replace any lost jointing sand or cement mortar. This will stop the ingress of water and will help protect paving during the freeze and thaw cycle of winter.
If your patio hasn’t been sealed, consider applying a protective treatment. We recommend ECOPROTEC® Patio Sealer for natural stone and our new barrier treatment, ECOPROTEC® Pre Grout Protection for matt porcelain pavers.